WARNING : the software we offer for Windows is configured for AZERTY keyboards. For other systems, the game is set in QWERTY. You will probably need to configure your keys ("
To connect to a Minetest server (including ours) you must download software (a "client"). It is available for many operating systems.
- GNU/Linux (choose your distribution)
- Android : on the Google PlayStore or on the free F-Droid blind
- All versions (Windows, Mac OSX)
Configuring your keys
You must launch the software, click on the
Settings tab, then on the button
Change keys at the bottom right:
Next, configure each of your keys by clicking on the one you want to change and pressing the desired key. Here is our model:
How to start your first game, and test the game when you have a few minutes ahead?
Launch a game
You downloaded Minetest and you want to play? At the beginning, two simple solutions exist: play in solo mode on your machine or join the world of Framinetest Edu.
In solo mode
- Click on the "Solo" tab
- Create a "New World" by filling in the "World Name" box and clicking "Create".
- Click on this world then on the "play" button
On the world Framinetest Edu
- Click on the "Client" tab
- Choose the server "framinetest.org"
- Enter a name (or nickname) then a password and click on "play"!
How to play?
The game using your mouse, you don’t know how to get out? Don’t panic! Tap on Esc (menu), alt+tab (change program) or simply "I" (Minetest inventory)
- The mouse serves to direct your gaze
- Left-click: mine, attack (in the inventory : move a stack of objects)
- Right click : place blocks, use (in the inventory : move an object, separate)
- Wheel or 0-9: Select an object in the action bar
- Z/Q/S/D: move (top, left, bottom, right)
- A: release what is in the hand
- Shift : relax or walk carefully
- K: fly (activate/deactivate "free movement" mode)
- J: Activate/deactivate "fast" mode
- I: open inventory
- T: open chat window
- Echap : open menu (to exit, among others)
Be constructive: craft!
Minetest is not just a game that breaks bricks, it’s a world where you can use the raw materials harvested to make objects (in the jargon of the game, we say "to craft"). Find out how and what to make in Minetest’s wiki!
Use in classroom
In this game known and appreciated by the students, the possibilities of teaching (and educational activities) are countless… Here are some examples and suggestions.
Tip: The world for education!
We have created a world for your educational project especially reserved for education. To access it, go to the "Client" tab, choose the address "framinetest.org", and change the Port from "30000" to
Creating and building together
Learning to define a common objective and then learning to coordinate to cooperate and collaborate to achieve are essential in the game.
… Some recommendations:
- It is often advisable to start cooperative/collaborative work in small groups (which you can expand later).
- Often, a distribution of roles within the groups of players will be set up. But if this is not the case, do not hesitate to facilitate this distribution.
- Some players will be much better than the teacher himself. That’s normal! Feel free to give more responsibility to the more experienced players.
Crafting: make your tools
The crafting is the method for creating new blocs (or objects) in the game. Thus, to "craft" something, the player will have to open his inventory (key "i" of the keyboard), open its craft table (or manufacturing grid) then place the blocks (or objects) already at his disposal there according to a specific arrangement (that the player will have to find by itself by logically selecting the right materials).
The first collaborative constructions?
As for all game constructions, the choice of materials is an essential step. If the latter is bad, the buildings built could well disappear because of the erosion processes! The same principle of reflection must be applied for each object/block, including living things (animals and plants).
Examples of educational activities
Here are a few possible ways of using education:
- "How about we replicate our college to scale?" (Mathematics, Technologies)
- "Let’s explore a new planet" or "Let’s study the influence of man on the settlement of an environment" (Life and Earth Sciences)
- "Reproduce a historical battle" (History, English)
- "Let’s imagine and dream our city of the future!" (Geography, SVT, English)
- "Building a world without weapons?" (Philo)
Going Further: Resources.
What is it?
Explore a digital world
You’re a Robinson in a living lego game. A world made of cubes: earth, water, sand, minerals, fauna and flora… whose rules govern it simulate ours (day & night, temperature, erosion, species reproduction…)
… Why not start by exploring it?
Framinetest Edu is a sandbox game world Minetest (world of blocks to edit) dedicated to education, pedagogical activities and the serious gaming.
- Download the game;
- Connect to our server;
- Read documentation for more information.
Framinetest Edu is an instance of the server Minetest developed by the community minetest.
Minetest is under a Creative Commons By-SA 3.0 license.